Valentine is popular in the United States as well as in Britain, Canada, and Australia, and it is also celebrated in other countries, including Argentina, France, Mexico, and South Korea. In the Philippines it is the most common wedding anniversary, and mass weddings of hundreds of couples are not uncommon on that date.
Below are some Valentine recipes
Victorian Gingerbread Valentines
* 2 1/2 cups unsifted flour
* 2 teaspoons cinnamon
* 1 1/2 teaspoon ginger
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves * 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup margarine
* 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar * 1/3 cup dark corn syrup
* 1 large egg
In large bowl, sift together flour, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt.
Blend together margarine and brown sugar until smooth. Add corn syrup and egg; beat well. Add dry ingredients, about one-third at a time, mixing until smooth after each addition. Chill dough one hour.
Roll out half of dough on lightly floured surface to one-quarter-inch thickness. (Reserve other half for decorations or for a second batch of cookies.)
Using heart-shaped cookie cutter, press out cookie shapes or use knife to cut around a pattern. Place hearts on cookie sheet. Decorate as desired. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes until golden. Remove and place on wire racks to cool. Store in covered container.
Waldorf-Astoria Red Velvet Cake
* 1/2 cup Shortening
* 1 1/2 cup Sugar
* 2 Eggs
* 2 ounces Red food coloring
* 2 tablespoons Cocoa — heaping * 2 1/4 cups Plain flour
* 1 teaspoon Salt
* 1 teaspoon Vanilla
* 1 teaspoon Baking soda
* 1 cup Buttermilk
* 1 tablespoon Vinegar
* 1 teaspoon Butter Flavoring (if desired)
* 3 tablespoons Flour
* 1 cup Butter (Not Margarine- you can tell the difference in the flavor). * 1 teaspoon Vanilla
* 1 cup Milk
* 1 cup granulated sugar
Cream Shortening, sugar and eggs. Make a paste with coloring and cocoa and add to mixture. Add salt and flour with buttermilk and vanilla. Alternately add soda and vinegar and don’t beat- just blend. Bake in two 9-inch pans (greased and floured) for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Layers may be split to make four.
Cook flour and milk on low heat until thick. Then cool (I put it in the freezer for this.). Cream sugar, butter, and vanilla until fluffy. Add to flour-milk mixture. Beat until mixture is like whipped cream. Spread on layers. Sprinkle with nuts if desired
Mock Pink Lady
* 1 1/2 cup Milk, homogenized
* 2 tablespoons Lemon juice
* 1 tablespoon Grenadine
* 1 tablespoon Sugar, granulated -Ice cubes
Measure milk, lemon juice, grenadine, sugar and ice cubes into blender. Blend until ice is gone. Serve immediately.
Passion Fruit Mimosa Recipe Ingredients:
* 1 cup chilled Champagne
* 1/2 cup chilled passion-fruit juice
Divide Champagne between 2 flutes and top off each with passion fruit juice.
Peaches In Spiced Red Wine
* 2 large peaches
* 1/2 cup dry red wine
* 3 tablespoons sugar
* 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
Blanch peaches in medium saucepan of boiling water 30 seconds. Transfer to bowl of cold water using slotted spoon. Pull off peel, using small sharp knife. Pit and slice peaches. Transfer peaches to medium bowl. Add all remaining ingredients to peaches and mix to dissolve sugar.
Refrigerate at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, before serving.
* 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, * 1 tablespoon butter
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 2 shallots, minced
* 1 cup vodka
* 1 cup chicken stock
* 1 can crushed tomatoes (32 ounces)
* Coarse salt and pepper
* 16 ounces pasta, such as penne rigate * 1/2 cup heavy cream
* 20 leaves fresh basil, shredded or torn
This recipe will make enough for 2 couples. If you plan a romantic evening where more than two’s a crowd, reserve half the sauce to freeze for another supper before the addition of basil, and only cook 1/2 to 2/3 pound of penne.
Heat a large skillet over moderate heat. Add oil, butter, garlic, and shallots. Gently saute shallots for 3 to 5 minutes to develop their sweetness. Add vodka to the pan, 3 turns around the pan in a steady stream will equal about 1 cup. Reduce vodka by half, this will take 2 or 3 minutes. Add chicken stock, tomatoes. Bring sauce to a bubble and reduce heat to simmer. Season with salt and pepper.
While sauce simmers, cook pasta in salted boiling water until cooked to al dente (with a bite to it). While pasta cooks, prepare your salad or other side dishes.
Stir cream into sauce. When sauce returns to a bubble, remove it from heat. Drain pasta. Toss hot pasta with sauce and basil leaves. Pass pasta with crusty bread.
Phyllo-Wrapped Salmon with Roasted Red Pepper
* 1 cup roasted red peppers (fresh or jar from Italian market), * 12 sheets frozen phyllo pastry, thawed,
* 6 tablespoons melted butter or nonstick spray,
* 6 (5 oz.) skinless salmon fillets, 1 inch thick
Puree red peppers.
Layer 2 sheets phyllo on work surface, brushing each with butter or spray with nonstick spray; leave remaining sheets of phyllo covered with plastic. Place 1 fillet crosswise on the pastry, 5 inches from the narrow end. Top with 1 Tbsp. puree. fold the 5 inch section of pastry over the salmon and fold in the sides. Roll the pastry into a rectangular packet to enclose the salmon. Brush with butter on all sides or spray with nonstick spray. Repeat with the remaining pastry and salmon.
Place packets on baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes until the salmon is cooked through and the pastry is light golcen brown. Top with the remaining pepper puree.
Pink Cloud Cake for Valentine’s Day
* 3 packages (3 oz. size) Jello
* 2 cups boiling water
* 2 packages (10 oz. size) frozen strawberries, partially thawed * 1 angel food bar cake, broken into bite-size pieces
Dissolve Jello in water; add strawberries. Beat for 4 minutes. Add cake to Jello mixture pour into mold. Chill until set.
Pink Frozen Fruit Salad
* 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
* 1 quart strawberry ice cream, softened
* 1/2 cup miracle whip
* 2 cans (17 oz size) fruit cocktail, drained * 1/3 cup chopped nuts
Combine cream cheese, ice cream and salad dressing, mixing until well blended. Fold in fruit and nuts. Pour into 9-inch square pan.
Freeze until firm. Chill until serving.
Pink Lemon Angel Cake
* 1 cup cake flour
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 12 egg whites, room temperature
* 1 1/2 teaspoon cream of tarter
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
* 3/4 cup more sugar
* 4 drops red food color (or enough to make pale pink )
Sift flour and sugar well. Combine whites with cream of tarter, salt and lemon extract. Beat until foamy. Beat in food color. Gradually add sugar, 2 Tbsp at a time beating until stiff but not dry peaks.
Fold in sugar and flour mixture carefully. Pour into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan. Bake in a 325F oven 35 to 45 minutes or until done. Invert to cool completely before removing.
Pink Mashed Potatoes
* 4 potatoes
* 1/2 cup milk (heated in the microwave) * 4 tablespoons butter
* Salt and pepper
* Red food color
Peel potatoes and cut into 10-12 pieces, put in pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, and cook for about 20 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Turn off the stove, pour the potatoes into a colander and shake to get the water off. Out the potatoes in a bowl; with an electric mixer or hand beater, beat the potatoes, butter and a little salt and pepper, adding the milk while you mix. Add food color carefully until it is a pretty color
Pink Peppermint Valentine Mold
* 1 package (1/4 ounce size) unflavored gelatine * 1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 2 eggs, separated
* 1 1/4 cup milk
* 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract * 3 drops red food coloring
* 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
In a medium saucepan (off the stove), combine gelatine, 1/4 cup sugar and salt; mix well and reserve.
In a medium bowl, beat together egg yolks and milk; add to gelatine mixture. Cook gelatine and egg mixture in saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until the gelatine dissolves and mixture thickens slightly – about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add peppermint extract. Add food coloring and mix. Chill in refrigerator until mixture is slightly thicker than the consistency of unbeaten egg whites.
In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Gradually add remaining sugar and beat until very stiff, then fold into gelatine mixture; fold in whipped cream. Turn into a 5-cup heart-shaped mold; chill until firm.
Pink Popcorn Surprises
* 7 cups popped corn
* 3 cups miniature marshmallows
* 2 tablespoons butter or margarine * 1/4 teaspoon salt
* few drops red food color
* 8 lollipops
Measure popped corn into large buttered bowl. In top of double boiler over hot water, heat marshmallows, butter and salt, stirring frequently, until marshmallows melt and mixture is smooth. Stir in food color. Pour mixture over corn in bowl. Toss gently to coat. With buttered hands quickly shape mixture around lollipops into 3 inch balls.
* 1 Ripe Banana — Sliced
* 1/2 cup Pineapple juice
* 1/2 cup Orange juice
* 1 tablespoon Grenadine syrup * 1 cup Ice cubes
Place sliced banana in blender. Add pineapple juice, orange juice and grenadine syrup and blend until smooth. Add ice; blend for 1 to 2 minutes or until frothy.
Pound Cake with Red Fruit
* 1 pound fresh raspberries, strawberries or pitted cherries or a combination of any
* 2/3 cup superfine sugar PLUS”PLUS” means this ingredient in addition to the one on the next line, often with divided uses
* 2 tablespoons superfine sugar some for sprinkling * 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 1 1/3 cup flour
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* pinch of salt
* 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened * 3 eggs, at room temperature
* 1 orange, grated zest only
* 1 tablespoon orange juice
Remove a few whole fruit for decorating. In a food processor fitted with the metal blade, process the fruit until smooth.
Add 1 – 2 tablespoons of the sugar and the lemon juice to the fruit puree, then process again to blend. Strain the sauce and chill.
Butter the base and sides of an 8 X 4 inch loaf pan or an 8 inch springform pan line the base with nonstick baking paper. Butter the paper and the sides of the pan again, then sprinkle lightly with sugar and tap out any excess from the pan. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Sift the flour, baking powder and a pinch of the salt into a medium bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer for 1 minute until creamy. Add the sugar and beat for 4 -5 minutes until very light and fluffy, and then add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the orange zest and juice.
Gently fold the flour mixture into the butter mixture in three batches, then spoon the mixture the prepared pan and tap gently to release any air bubbles.
Bake the cake for 35 – 40 minutes until the top is golden and springs back when touched. Transfer the cak in its pan to a wire rack and leavt to cool for 10 minutes. remove the cake from the pan, then cool for about 1/2 hour. Remove the paper and serve slices or wedges of the warm cake with a little of the fruit sauce and decorate with the reserved fruit.
Prawns of Passion
* 1 cup butter, divided
* 1 medium head garlic, peeled and minced
* 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
* 2 pounds or one kg large prawns – peeled, deveined and butterflied * 1 medium head garlic, peeled and minced
* 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Melt 1/2 cup butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add 1 minced head of garlic and saute for 2 to 3 minutes until soft. Stir in the tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Continue cooking until reduced to a thick paste, about 60 to 90 minutes. In a separate saucepan, melt remaining 1/2 cup butter in a saucepan over low heat. Saute remaining garlic for 2 to 3 minutes. Toss prawns in garlic butter sauce and place on a baking sheet. Broil until pink, do not overcook.
Queen of Hearts Strawberry Tart
* 1/2 cup butter, melted * 1 teaspoon sugar
* 1 cup flour
* 4 cups whole strawberries, hulled * 1 1/2 cup warm water
* 1 1/2 cup sugar
* 4 tablespoons corn starch
* 1 package (3-ounce size) strawberry gelatin mix * 2 drops red food coloring
* Whipped cream
Preheat oven to 400°. Mix all crust ingredients and pat into a 9-inch pie plate. Prick the bottom with a fork and bake for about 15 minutes, or until lightly browned . Cool. Arrange whole strawberries in the crust.
In a saucepan, cook water, sugar, and corn starch until the mixture becomes clear. Add gelatin and stir until dissolved. Add food coloring. Pour over the strawberries that are in the crust.
Chill well. Top with whipped cream before serving.
Queen Of Hearts Tarts 2
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 2 tablespoons flour
* 1 cup evaporated milk
* 3/4 cup water
* 2 tablespoons butter — or margarine * 3 egg yolks — beaten
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1 can cherries in syrup — drained
* whipping cream — for topping
* 1 pie crust
* toasted coconut — optional
Line muffin tins with pie pastry, prick and bake. Mix and cook until thick in a double boiler sugar, salt, flour, evaporated milk, water, butter or margarine, and egg yolks. Flavor with 1 teaspoon vanilla and chill. Fill the cooled tart shells half full with the custard mixture, sprinkle with small amount of toasted coconut if using and top with drained, sweetened canned cherries.
Queen of Hearts Tarts
* 1 Box of vanilla wafers
* 2 boxes of vanilla instant pudding * Milk
* Cherry pie filling
Place a vanilla wafer in the bottom of a cupcake liner.
Make the pudding according to directions. Pour pudding over vanilla wafer to cover. Chill until set. Just before serving spoon a tablespoon of cherries over the pudding.
Queen of Hearts’ Tarts
* 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour * 2 teaspoons baking powder * 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup shortening
* 1 cup sugar
* 2 eggs, beaten
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla * 1 tablespoon milk
* Strawberry preserves
Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. Cream together shortening and sugar. Add eggs, vanilla, milk, and sifted ingredients. Mix well.
Roll out on a floured surface. Cut with heart-shaped cookie cutters.
Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Cool. With plastic knives or wooden Popsicle sticks, spread strawberry preserves on each cookie and top with another cookie.
Raspberry Chocolate Heart Tart
* 1 purchased refrigerated pie pastry for 9-inch pie (or a homemade 9-inch pie pastry)
* 1 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels * 2/3 cup Sweetened Condensed Milk * 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 2 cups raspberries, rinsed and dried * Sifted powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 4250 F.
Place pastry circle with plastic removed on lightly floured surface; roll out slightly. Trim small amount of pastry away to form heart shape. Place heart on ungreased baking sheet. Turn edges under 1/2 inch; flute. Prick pastry with tines of fork.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on baking sheet on wire rack.
Microwave morsels and sweetened condensed milk in medium, microwave-safe bowl on high (100%) power for 1 minute; stir. Microwave at additional 10-second intervals, stirring until smooth. Stir in vanilla extract. Spread over crust. Refrigerate for a few minutes or until chocolate is set.
Arrange raspberries over chocolate; sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Raspberry Velvet Tart Recipe
* 3/4 cup each, cake flour and all purpose flour * 1/4 cup sugar
* 1/2 cup unsalted butter,chilled
* 1 egg yolk
* 1 tablespoon whipping cream
* 2 tablespoons (approx) cold water Filling:
* 12 ounces white chocolate, chopped
* 1/2 cup hot whipping cream
* 1/4 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
* 2 cups fresh raspberries or thawed, drained frozen ones * White chocolate leaves
* powdered sugar
Crust: Mix flours and sugars in large bowl. Cut in butter until it looks like coarse meal. Beat egg yolk with cream. Pour over the flours and blend, adding only enough water to hold dough together. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill 30 minutes.. Roll dough on lightly floured board until 1/8″ thick. Transfer to 9″ tart pan with removable bottom. Chill 30 minutes. Line crust with foil or parchment and fill with beans or weights. Blind bake in a 350F oven for 15 minutes. Remove foil and beans and continue baking until golden. Cool on rack.
Filling: Melt chocolate in top of double boiler, stirring until smooth. Mix in cream and butter. Remove from over water. Spread berries evenly over the crust, saving a few for garnish. Pour filling over berries and refrigerate tart until set (at least 1 hour ). Arrange leaves and berries on top of tart and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
For the white chocolate leaves 3 oz. white chocolate, chopped 16 small thick leaves, from edible bushes like lemon, camelia, or gardenias, with 1/8″ stems.
Melt white chocolate in top of double boiler over simmering water, stirring until smooth. Spread a thin layer on the veined side of the leaves,careful not to drip on the edges. Refrigerate until firm, about 30 min. Gently peel off leaves starting at stem end. These can be prepared up to 1 week ahead. Cover airtight and refrigerate.
* 1 cup shortening
* 2 cups white sugar
* 2 eggs
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 cup buttermilk
* 2 teaspoons baking soda
* 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour * 3 drops red food coloring
Mix ingredients in the order given. Divide dough and add enough red food coloring for desired shades of pink or red. Refrigerate dough for 40 to 60 minutes.
Roll and cut out with heart cutters. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 11 minutes. Do not overbake.
Red Jello Hearts
* 1 large box Jello – raspberry, cherry (red color) * 1 heart shaped cookie cutter
Follow recipe on box for Jello Jigglers. Chill in a long shallow pan(greased), like a lasagna dish. Cut out hearts when jello is set. Can decorate with spray whipped topping if desired.
Red Rose Potato Salad Recipe
* 5 red rose potatoes boiled and cubed — with skins * 5 eggs — hard boiled and sliced
* 1 apple — diced
* 1 cup mayonnaise — (add as desired)
* 1/4 cup onion — chopped
* 1/4 cup sweet relish — with juice * 1/4 cup mustard — spicy
* 1 tablespoon dill
* salt & pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients, folding together gently. Serve chilled.
Red Velvet Cake
* 1/2 cup shortening
* 1 1/2 cup sugar
* 2 eggs
* 2 tablespoons cocoa
* 2 ounces red food coloring * 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup buttermilk
* 2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour * 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda * 1 tablespoon vinegar
* 5 tablespoons flour
* 1 cup milk
* 1/2 pound real butter * 1 cup sugar
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
Cream shortening and sugar; add eggs. Make paste of cocoa and food coloring, add to creamed mixture and mix well. Add salt and vanilla to buttermilk. Alternately add buttermilk and flour into shortening mixture, mixing well. Mix baking soda to vinegar and fold gently into batter. DO NOT BEAT! Makes 3 layers.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-30 minutes. Icing
Mix the flour and milk together in saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil until thick (keep stirring). Cool COMPLETELY!!!! (in fact in works the best to chill it) Cream butter, sugar and vanilla together. Add flour mixture and beat until thick enough to spread.
Regalo`s Lobster Ravioli in Pink Sauce
* 8 ounces cooked fresh lobster meat, chopped * 2 teaspoons chopped fresh mango
* 1 1/2 teaspoon heavy cream
* 1 1/2 tablespoon ricotta cheese
* 1 large egg yolk
* Salt and fresh-ground black pepper, to taste
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 9 medium cloves garlic, finely chopped
* 6 ripe tomatoes, chopped
* 10 fresh basil leaves, julienned
* 1/4 cup heavy cream
* 1/2 cup fresh-grated parmesan cheese
* Salt and fresh-ground black pepper, to taste
* 24 (3-by-3-inch) won-ton wrappers
* 1 large egg
* 1 tablespoon water, plus more for cooking ravioli
To make filling: In a food processor fitted with the metal blade, combine all ingredients and process until smooth. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before using. (Can be made a day ahead.)
To make sauce: In a nonreactive heavy skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Saute garlic about 3 minutes, or just until it begins to color a bit; don’t let it burn. Add tomatoes, basil and cream, bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium-low and let sauce reduce about 2 minutes. Stir in parmesan cheese until it melts and season
with salt and pepper. Don’t let sauce boil after adding cheese or it will get stringy. (You can make this a day ahead and reheat over low heat or in a double boiler.)
To fill ravioli: Spoon a heaping tablespoon of filling in center of each of 12 won-ton wrappers. Lightly beat egg with 1 tablespoon water. Using a small paintbrush, moisten edges of wrappers well with beaten egg wash. Top each wrapper with another wrapper and seal edges together by pressing with tines of a fork; press out any air. (You can make these several hours ahead, cover well and refrigerate.)
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and drop in filled won tons. You may want to do these in batches so you don’t overcrowd pot. Cook 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Drain well and divide among 6 warm serving bowls. Divide sauce over each and serve warm. Makes 6 entree servings or 12 appetizer servings.
* 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 1/4 cup packed brown sugar * 3 tablespoons baking cocoa * 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup water
* 3 tablespoons vegetable oil * 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar * 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
* 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
* 2 tablespoons milk (more as needed) * 2 tablespoons butter, melted
* 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
* Decorator icing and confetti candies
In a mixing bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Add water, oil, vinegar and vanilla. Pour into a greased and floured 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
In a mixing bowl, beat confectioners’ sugar, cocoa, milk, butter and vanilla until smooth; set aside.
Transfer cake to a work surface.
Using a 3- to 3-1/2-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter, gently cut out four heart-shaped cakes (set cake trimmings aside for another use).
Place one heart on a serving plate; spread with some frosting. Top with a second cake; frost top and sides. Repeat with remaining cakes and frosting. Decorate with icing and candies.
Cherry Cream Cheese Cookies
* 1 cup powdered sugar * 1 cup oleo
* 1 egg
* 2 teaspoons vanilla
* 2 cups flour Filling
* 1 cup powdered sugar * 2 teaspoons flour
* 3 ounces cream cheese * 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1/2 cup coconut
* 1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries — drained
* 1/4 cup chocolate chips * 1 teaspoon oleo
* 1/4 cup powdered sugar * 3 teaspoons water
Mix sugar and oleo. Add egg and vanilla. Stir in flour. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
Shape dough into balls. Place 2″ apart on cookie sheet. With thumb, make imprint in each cookie. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven. Remove from cookie sheet and cool.
Mix filling and fill cookie center with 1/2 teaspoon of filling. In saucepan, melt chocolate chips and oleo. Mix in rest of ingredients and drizzle over cookies.
* 3/4 cup Margarine or butter – softened * 3/4 cup Honey
* 1/4 teaspoon Almond extract
* 2 1/2 cups All-purpose flour
* 1/2 cup Finely chopped almonds
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
In a large bowl, beat margarine, honey and almond extract with an electric mixer until mixture is light and fluffy. Add flour, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in almonds. On ungreased cookie sheets, shape 1/2-cup portions of dough into heart shapes, no more than 1/2-inch thick. Decorate as desired by following one of the tips below or by using a tooth-pick, fork or other kitchen tool to create a design. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until edges turn brown. Cool 5 minutes and remove from pan.
Decorating tips: You can create a design on top of the cookies using white or colored candy sprinkles.
Or you could crimp the edges of heart, making a design using the tines of fork, or a knife, spatula or spoon. Sprinkle baked cookies with powdered sugar.
If you are an experienced baker, you may want to paint a design with a simple egg- yolk paint. Separate an egg; put the egg yolk in a small bowl and mix with 1/2 teaspoon water and enough red food coloring to make the desired sired shade of red. Using a clean paint brush, paint a design on cookie using the colored yolk. Or place a small doily on cookie and, using a clean, stiff brush, work the egg paint through the cutouts and create a lacy effect. Remember that this is all done before the cookies are baked.
* 1 lg. box strawberry gelatin
* 2 cups water
* 3 cups fresh sliced strawberries
* 1/2 cup crushed pretzels
* 3 tablespoons brown sugar
* 3/4 cup butter
* Small container of whipped topping * 8 ounces pkg. softened cream cheese * 1 cup sugar
Mix pretzels, brown sugar and butter and press into a greased 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake crust at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
Let cool. Whip whipped topping, cream cheese, and sugar and spread on top of crust. Mix gelatin with 2 cups boiling water.
Let gelatin partially congeal. Add strawberries and pour on top of whipped topping. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Cut into squares.
Valentine Fruit Punch
* 1 package cherry Kool-Aid
* 1 package strawberry Kool-Aid
* 2 cups sugar
* 3 quarts water
* 1 can (6 oz. size) frozen orange juice * 1 can (6 oz. size) frozen lemonade
* 1 quart ginger ale
Combine ingredients and chill.
Valentine Lollipops Recipe
* Safflower oil
* 2 Plastic 6-count lollipop mold
* 8 ounces Imported white chocolate
* 8 ounces Imported bittersweet chocolate * 12 Lollipop sticks
* 12 Red cellophane bags (optional)
* 12 Gold ribbons (optional)
Lightly oil lollipop molds. In small bowl set over saucepan of simmering water, stir white chocolate just until melted and smooth. Remove bowl from over water.
In another small bowl set over same saucepan of simmering water, stir bittersweet chocolate just until melted and smooth. Cool chocolates slightly. Drizzle small spoonful of white chocolate into bottom of each mold. Drizzle small spoonful of bittersweet chocolate over. Using toothpick, swirl chocolates slightly to marbleize. Repeat layering of chocolates and swirling until molds are filled.
Insert lollipop sticks into groove in molds and rotate sticks to coat with chocolate. Gently tap molds on work surface to release air bubbles. Refrigerate lollipops until very firm, at least 3 hours or overnight.
Refrigerate cookie sheets until chilled. Invert molds onto chilled cookie sheets. Gently bend corners to release lollipops (it may be necessary to let molds stand 30 seconds and then repeat bending). If desired, insert each lollipop into cellophane bag and tie decoratively with ribbon. (Lollipops can be prepared 3 days ahead. Cover tightly and keep refrigerated.)
Valentine Meringue Hearts
* 3 Egg whites
* 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
* 1/4 teaspoon Cream of tartar * 1 dash Salt
* 1 cup Sugar
* Red food coloring
* 1 quart Vanilla ice cream
* 1 pint Strawberries; sliced
Cut a heart pattern from a 4-1/2 inch square of paper. Cover baking sheet with brown paper. (You can bake on the brown paper so make sure it is clean.) Grocery store bags without writing on them are okay. Draw 6 hearts on the brown paper using your pattern as a guide.
Beat egg whites with vanilla, cream of tartar and salt until frothy. Add sugar, a little at a time, and continue beating until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Rub a bit between your figures to feel that no sugar remains undissolved. Add food coloring, a few drops to make a delicate pink color.
Spread meringue over the heart shapes, 1/4 inch thick. Make into the heart shape using a spoon to push and form into correct shape. Pipe rim 3/4 inch high with pastry tube.
Bake in preheated 275-degree oven for 1 hour. Turn off oven and let meringues dry in oven for 1 more hour. DO NOT open oven door during this time.
Fill the cooled meringues with scoops of ice cream and top with strawberries. Decorate with mint leaves if desired.
* 6 tablespoons butter * 3/4 cup sugar
* 2 eggs
* 1/2 cup milk
* 14 strawberries, fresh or defrosted frozen * Food coloring, optional
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 tablespoon baking powder
* Hershey’s Kisses, Hugs or strawberry jam
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar. The chef can do this with a wooden spoon, a potato masher or a handheld electric mixer. Mix in the eggs, one at a time, and add the milk.
Tip: Instead of cracking the eggs into the batter, have the chef crack them into a small bowl first. Remind him to whack them hard and pick out any shells.
Rinse the strawberries and cut off the greens with a plastic knife (a fun job for 3- to 5-year-olds who are accustomed to cutting play dough). Mash the berries with a potato masher or puree in a blender. Then stir the berries into the butter and milk mixture.
Tip: For muffins with a more pronounced pink color, add a few drops of red liquid food coloring or dabs of paste coloring.
In a separate bowl, ask the chef to sift the flour, salt and baking powder. Stir well.
Tip: If you are cooking with more than one child, let the kids take turns cranking the sifter. Also, be sure your baking powder is fresh and that all of it makes it into the bowl. Explain that this key ingredient makes the muffins rise.
Add the flour mixture to the berry mixture. Use a wooden spoon to stir until all the white disappears.
Tip: For an excellent crumbly consistency, mix the batter just until everything is moist.
Line the muffin tin with paper liners. Drop the batter from a tablespoon to fill the cups halfway. Add a surprise: an unwrapped Kiss, Hug or 1/2 teaspoon of jam. Then spoon more batter to fill almost to the top. Bake until the muffins begin to brown and a toothpick inserted near the center (but not in the Kiss) comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Remove the muffins from the tin and cool. Serve them warm in a basket lined with a red napkin or on plates with doilies.
* pancake mix
* red food coloring
Using your favorite pancake batter recipe, spoon the batter into a heated skillet to form a heart. This method can also be used to form other fun shapes.
You can make the pancakes look more festive by adding food coloring to the batter (a couple of drops of red for a pink batter) and adding chocolate or cherry chips
* 1 cup Water
* 3 ounces Strawberry Gelatin Powder * 1 pint Vanilla Ice Cream
* 1 Chocolate Crumb Pie Crust
* Hershey’s® Kisses
In a 4-cup glass measuring cup stir together water and gelatin. Cook, uncovered, on 100% power (high) for 1 1/2 to2 minutes.
Add vanilla ice cream to the hot gelatin mixture, stirring till ice cream is melted. Chill mixture for 35 to 30 minutes, stirring twice during chilling (the mixture should mound when you drop it from a spoon.
Pour chilled ice cream mixture into pie shell. Chill about 4 hours or till ice cream is set.
Arrange milk chocolate kisses in a heart shape on top of pie.
* 1 package gelatin — lemon flavored * 2 cups water — fruit juice
* 10 marshmallows — cut in pieces
* 1/2 cup apricots — cut and drained * 1/2 cup dates — cut
* 1/2 cup maraschino cherries — sliced * 1/2 cup celery — finely cut
* 1 cup grapefruit — canned, drained
Dissolve gelatin in 1 cup water or fruit juice and add the remaining cup of cold liquid. Chill until partly set, then add remaining ingredients. Pour into individual heart-shaped molds and chill. Unmold for serving on chicory or curly endive which will give a lacy effect. Garnish each salad with an arrow of mayonnaise forced through a pastry tube.
Valentine Salad II
* 1 can cherry pie filling
* 1 can sweetened condensed milk
* 1 small can crushed pineapple, drained * 1 (12 ounce) container Cool Whip
* Pecans (if desired)
Mix all ingredients together and chill.
Valentine Sandwiches Recipe
* favorite sandwich
* heart-shaped cookie cutter
Make your kids favorite sandwich. Use a heart shape cookie cutter to cut the sandwich. PB & J sandwiches cut the easiest; meat filled sandwiches may need to be cut before making the sandwich because the meat may be to difficult for the cookie cutter to cut through.
* 3 cups milk
* 1 cup strawberries * 3 ice cubes
Put all ingredients in blender. Mix. Pour into glasses.
Valentine’s Day Red Cake
* 2 1/2 cups self-rising flour * 1 1/2 cup vegetable oil
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar * 1 teaspoon white vinegar
* 1 cup buttermilk
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 cup red food coloring * 1 teaspoon cocoa
* 2 large eggs
* 1 1/2 sticks butter — softened
* 1 pound powdered sugar
* 10 ounces cream cheese — softened * 2 cups chopped pecans
Heat oven to 350F degrees. Mix together all cake ingredients with mixer until well blended. Spray 3 (9-inch) round cake pans with non-stick coating. Pour batter into the pans.
Bake for 20 minutes. Cool 10 minutes and remove from pans to cool completely before frosting.
To prepare frosting, combine butter, cream cheese and Big Chief powdered sugar in a bowl and beat until very fluffy.
Fold in 1/2 cups pecans to decorate top of cake. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.